Thursday, September 18, 2008

Gamecocks Against Wofford

Folks, I don't know how else to say this, so I will just come out and say it. South Carolina is going to lose to Wofford this Saturday. This won't be like the Vanderbilt game though. It will be an upset. South Carolina fans will shake their fists in frustration. The world will laugh. Now before you brush this prediction off with impunity, allow me to explain how and why it will happen:

1. Wofford has the top rushing offense in all of college football. They run a highly disciplined, option attack that has netted them an avg. of 400 yards/game so far this year. Defending them is next to impossible, and South Carolina certainly doesn't have the horses to do it. Expect to see gamecock defenders over-pursuing all day, while the Terriers patiently wait for running lanes to open up as a result. The Terriers also return a big, veteran offensive line off of last year's squad that won the Southern Conference. In short, they know what they hell they are doing, and they know how to do it. This all brings me to my next point.

2. South Carolina sucks. They have one of the worst rush defenses in all of college football. This, coupled with the tendency of fast, athletic defenders to constantly find themselves out of position against teams that run the option, will make it a long day for the gamecocks and their faithful. Trying to figure out how to stop this kind of offense in one week is futile. Now throw in the fact that the gamecocks really have nothing to play for anyway, and you've got a recipe for a fun, funny disaster.

3. Mike Ayers is the best football coach in the state. No, that's not a misprint. He is #1. The game has passed Spurrier by. Bowden was never any good to begin with.

4. South Carolina doesn't want to play this game. Wofford does. These guys almost beat South Carolina a couple of years ago, and they are a better team this year than they were back in aught-6. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain, while the exact opposite can be said of the gamecocks.

5. South Carolina is coming off a devastating loss to Georgia. Spirits are down, despite what you may read in the newspaper or hear on the radio.

6. I said it will.

As an added bonus, I have a bonus question just for Gamecock fans. I've heard all year long that this is Spurrier's best team in his 4 years. Do you think this is actually the case? Has it occured to you that maybe this is not the case?

Now let's get back to what makes this site truly one of the greatest websites ever on the internet, mind of a gamecock.

On perception:

- 7-5 record against a top 20 schedule is a lot better than say a 10-2 record against another close conference to us.

On the Wofford game:

- at the end of the game we should have at least 400 yards rushing.

- I think people worried about the Wofford game should go ahead and turn in their fan card for this year.

- It wont even be close. We may have already lost 2 but the vandy game was lost by a fluke punt mishap and a blocked fg. Georgia needed a fumble at the 2 to beat us. This isnt last years team like many of you think. Cocks by 24 in this one and im being kind.

On the remainder of the season(post-UGA):

- I feel better about this team at 1-2 than when we were 6-1 last year.

- I truly believe that we will win 8 games this year.

- I will agree with you as far as feeling better about this 1-2 team vs. last year's 6-1 team. We were barely sneaking by last year. THis year I feel like we are much better suited to play the rest of our schedule.

- We are a good team and we proved it Saturday and we will continue to improve and get better.

- Smelley has found his confidence and I expect great play here on out.

- It starts next Saturday and won't stop until we finish 11-2!!! I love this team and feel we are ready to get this ugly start behind us and move forward. Can't wait until we are 5-2 and end LSU's season, dash Florida's national championship dreams and finally put the nail in Tommy's coffin. This season is just starting, don't give up!!! THIS WILL STILL BE A SPECIAL YEAR!!!!!!!

- I feel exactly the same way.Especially after this game.Its coming together in many ways.(run game excluded).Our D rocks!!!!GO COCKS

- Finishing 11-2 wouldn't surprise me in the least.

- After UGA, I fear no other team we face as long as we play like that.

- We have 9, count 'em, 9 games left. We are just getting started. We have 2 patsies then 2 very winnable conf road games (how many SEC road games did BS win?) then we get a very 1 dimensional LSU team coming to our place. I'm not ready to put limits on this team. Our D keeps working hard and playing well, we will be fine. 8-4 with a Peach Bowl date against UNC or VT...make that 9-4 and top 15 preseason next year. You heard it here first!

On the new "Gamecock Walk:"

- It's ashame out of 80,000+ people we can't get a good showing of at least 2000.

- The reason we had a poor showing at the walk is. most of our fans would rather stay at the tailgate area and drink a beer, rather than show support to the players and coaches. in my opinion the party life style is low class and redneck.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

even as a gator fan, i don't think that wofford (who?) will beat usc east. if so, they need to crawl back down into that black hole from which they came. it sure is fun living in columbia though and hearing this fan base talk about their team. you'd think that they win the national championship or at least play for it every other year or so. here's to the armpit of the state!!

Unknown said...

It's why I started this blog, james. I just couldn't sit idly by whilst all this delusion went to waste.

Anonymous said...

As you know, I'm a VT fan...but two things stick out to me in your "blawg."

"They have one of the worst rush defenses in all of college football." Correct me if I'm wrong, but they did hold one of the best backs in college football to around 70 yards last week, correct? Not a bad feat. So while they've only played three teams, two being decent, one being a pretty damn good team, it's a stretch to say they have one of the worst in college football. Alert me when a team runs all over them again. And I mean RUN. We're talking McFadden and Jones run. Then we can sit around and sip champagne.

2) Because you said so? Really? Because you also said you would beat Bammer 41-3. Personally, you lost all credit from me when that embarrassment of television happened. So you can go on and make gimmie predictions like Vandy over Carolina, because obviously, at least so far, your predictions are not so correct.

And, because I said so, Wofford won't beat Carolina. If they still had Nix, maybe. But having Johnson, who saw their offense year after year when he coached for the Citadel, really helps them in getting ready. Carolina's talent is head and shoulders better than Wofford, and in actuality Wofford's "big and strong" line isn't that big and strong when you start comparing them to major divison one schools. But hey, it could happen. Will it? No. I'll come here and type up a five page apology letter and crown you King of the Blogs IF Wofford takes down Carolina. That's all I'll say.

James, why the hell are you a Gator fan living in Columbia? Why would you even live in South Caroliney period? It literally is arguably the worst state known to man. It's not that Florida is much better, but still. It has got to be an upgrade. Sorry to hear you're a Gator fan conveniently placed in Columbia.

Now that we have Tyrod Taylor off the RS(dumbass move to begin with), let's go VT! Take over the weak-ass ACC.

Unknown said...

If there is one thing in this world that I truly believe, it's that you're a VT fan.

Anonymous said...

Right, and a Gator fan living in Columbia is just as predictable to sniff out.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Owner, want to make a friendly wager on the game? If your prediction goes down the toilet, which seems to be a high possibility given your skill level of predictions, then you can meet me at Firehouse in downtown Clemson and buy me a Hook N Ladder sub combo. If Wofford pulls the major upset, then I'll do the same for you...or any restaurant your heart desires.

I don't care either way, but I'm a betting man. Whatever floats your boat.

Man, Firehouse kicks so much ass.

Unknown said...

I fully endorse Firehouse subs. I'm more of a New York Steamer kinda guy(here's your chance fart joke lovers). But I am not a betting man.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Prank caller! Prank Caller!

Anonymous said...

New York Steamer is another great one. Can't go wrong at the Fire House. I think I've tried every single thing there is to try there.

Unknown said...

The club sub is good.

Anonymous said...

Firehouse is probably one of the finest restaurants to grace mankind. I'm a big Atlanta Falcons fan, so before we either go to the game or watch it on NFL Ticket we always go and grab Firehouse before the game. NY Steamer is still my favorite, but I'm big on the Hero Sub, too.

I dunno...I'm feeling the Italian Sub for tomorrow.